RPG Get! Take two

I’ve been working on the redesign of RPG Get! and finally have some real progress to show for it.

Here’s some examples of the new card designs. I’m hoping that things are a lot more obvious now, and it also gives me design room for future mechanics.

Two example characters. Note how the Fonewearl’s spell boost ability is much nicer to express now.
Combat will now be more back-and-forth, and the new “counterattack” icons on the attacks determine what kinds of attacks can be used as a counter.

Sample enemy. Fairly straightforward.

Sample attack reward cards.
Notice the splitting of defense into defense, evade, and resistance, and how different attacks can be defended against in different ways.






In general, I’m hoping that the new combat mechanics (which are almost completely changed from the original game) will allow for more true-to-game combats.
For example, melee attackers (Hunters in PSO) will mostly want to use melee attacks, as those deal the most damage due to their high melee stat. However, melee attacks are more easily counterattacked, so they need to have defense and evade ready.
On the other hand, ranged attackers (Rangers in PSO) will want to use ranged attacks due to their higher range stat. They are also generally safe from counterattacks by melee attacks.
Spellcasters are truer to the game in that they are frail and should not engage in melee combat, but have spells that never miss (cannot be evaded) and cannot be counterattacked.

We’ll see how this goes. I hope to have enough cards done by this weekend to start playtesting.

Well, crap

A few months back (April 30, to be exact), I did a small overhaul of the monsters and items in CMU adventures. I wanted to make the early game easier so you weren’t eating all of your equipment or keeping one enemy alive to use for healing. Made the changes, uploaded the monster definition files over the existing ones, didn’t think much of it.

Cue today when I get an email saying the game is broken because “monster 37” doesn’t exist. I look and, sure enough, there is no definition for that monster… nothing after monster 32 exists. But strangely, the room definition files do know about 37. And there is an image for monster 37. And 36. And 35. And… oh shit.

So apparently, in doing my overhaul, I did not have the most up-to-date version of the code. As such, a lot of the post-boss content (all of the Cohort and their associated items, mainly) got wiped from the game. The worst part is that I can’t seem to find a backup of these files, so it looks like it’s truly gone.

Since it’s now 12:45 and I really should be sleeping, I took the easiest solution and reuploaded the entire game based on the version I have locally. It isn’t ideal, but it should at least prevent issues with broken monster and item references. People with older accounts may be broken because the item database is also screwed up now (or, really, was broken with the April 30 update). But those people beat the game up to what existed then anyway, so that matters less.

I suppose this is a good opportunity to work on the new game I haven’t touched since before moving from San Francisco and leave this one up as some sort of historical archive.

So, in conclusion… always make backups of files before you wipe them out as part of a major overhaul. Blah.

Photoshooooop

Pittsburgh got cold. Kind of yay cold, except today was kind of unfortunate until the landlord turned the heat on. Trying to code when your fingers are numb is not fun.

Piccars!
(Click… they get bigger)