If this election has you as freaked out as it has me, there are a lot of good causes you can donate to to make sure these upcoming 4 years aren’t terrible for those less fortunate or more vulnerable than you, and to continue to advance progressive causes. Because, when the government won’t, private organizations will have to, but they can’t without us.
Here’s a list of my top priorities, in roughly priority order
- The ACLU or the ACLU Foundation to help ensure the rights of minorities are not trampled upon
(The foundation is tax-deductable… there’s information about the differences here)
- The EFF to help ensure net neutrality and protection against spying and electronic surveillance
- Feeding America or a local food bank to help ensure those in need will not be devastated by cuts to SNAP
- Enviornmental Defense Fund or Sierra Club to help protect the environment
- The New York Times (online subscription, which you don’t have to use) to support quality journalism and reporting
(Or some quality local paper, which you can either take delivery of or do an online-only subscription to give them more of the money)
Many of these are also tax-deductable, and your company may match your donation, which would be an excellent way to increase the impact of your contribution.
Also, putting my money where my mouth is, I made a $300 donation to the ACLU Foundation today, matched by Salesforce (and will continue to do so, to various organizations in that list, going forward). I encourage you to do the same, in whatever amount you can manage, toward whatever causes you feel are important to you.
Does anyone have any other recommendations for charities that would be good to support at this time?
Edit: Some organizations suggested by FB friends are Lambda Legal, Planned Parenthood, Southern Poverty Law Center, National Domestic Worker’s Alliance, NAACP, Doctors Without Borders, RAINN, Slyvia Rivera Law Project, National Immigration Law Center, EarthJustice, Pittsburgh AIDS Taskforce, ProPublica, Mother Jones, the Transgender Law Center, and the Trevor Project.